Spinal fusion is a surgical procedure frequently performed by the board certified NYC best in class orthopedic spine surgeon, Dr. Sean McCance, who is a spine fusion specialist. Spinal fusion surgery involves using specialized instrumentation to perform a bone graft to allow the spinal bone to heal together to become stable. Spinal fusion is actually one of the most common types of back surgery. Spinal fusion surgery is performed to provide stability and strength to the vertebrae and to eliminate chronic pain.
Spinal fusion surgery is recommended by the NYC spinal fusion surgeon only after conservative treatment methods fail. There are a significant amount of factors which will be considered prior to the surgeon’s recommendation to proceed with spinal fusion surgery.
“Dr. Sean McCance- gave me my life back!!!! Dr. McCance and his staff are compassionate, dedicated, professional. My spinal fusion was a success- 3 years completely pain free-I have a pain free life- literally got my life back!!!!” ~ Google
Reason Spinal Fusion Surgery Is Performed:
- Persistent back pain that has not responded to conservative methods – usually attributed to degenerative disc disease or spinal instability
- A definitive diagnosis of spinal stenosis (where there is an associated deformity)
- A definitive diagnosis of spondylolisthesis
- Prior failed laminectomy surgery
- Abnormal curvatures of the spine, such as scoliosis or kyphosis
- To correct the narrowing of the spinal canal
- Due to trauma to the spinal vertebrae – one or more fractured (broken) vertebrae
- To correct a spinal fracture
- Protrusion of the cushioning disk between vertebrae (slipped disk, herniated nucleus pulposus)
- Weak or unstable spine caused by infections or tumors
There are various various spinal fusion techniques including a posterior approach (the spinal surgeon makes an incision on the lower back), an anterior approach (the incision is on the abdomen), or a side approach. Sometimes one approach is preferable to another depending upon the MR findings and the age, sex, and health of the patient. The types of approach will thoroughly be discussed with you prior to surgery.
What Exactly Happens During Spinal Fusion Surgery
During spinal fusion (which occurs when the patient is under general anesthesia), the NYC spinal fusion surgeon, Dr. Sean McCance, will make an incision either directly over the spine, on the side of the spine, or in the abdomen (the exact method will vary from case to case and will be thoroughly discussed with your prior to surgery). A bone graft taken from your own body or from a bone bank is placed between the vertebrae. Metal screws, rods, or cages are inserted to stabilize the vertebrae while the bone graft heals.
Our best in class, Upper East Side, NYC back & neck pain diagnosis & surgery practice, Spine Associates, is honored to provide you with highly personalized and comprehensive care. Our philosophy of direct management of your case by an expert spine surgeon has made us one of the most trusted and respected spine surgery practices on the Upper East Side in NYC and the world. Feel free to contact the back & neck pain diagnosis and spine surgery specialist today to discuss your spinal fusion surgery and start yourself on the road to recovery.
Dr. Sean McCance
1155 Park Avenue, Suite E
New York, NY 10128