For the past two decades Dr. Sean McCance, a board certified NYC spine surgeon, has directed one of the leading spine practices in New York, Spine Associates, including lumbar (back) & cervical (neck) injury diagnosis and surgery. He has been recognized by his peers as one of the most accomplished spine surgeons in the field. Since establishing his best in class practice on the Upper East Side in Manhattan, Dr. McCance has performed over 4000 spine surgeries on patients from all over the world and from all walks of life. Spinal surgery is a sub-specialty of orthopedic surgery that involves the diagnosis and treatment of a range of conditions related to the back and neck. Dr. McCance always exhausts all conservative non-surgical options and treatments, if appropriate, before he recommends surgery of the spine.
- Director, Spine Associates (New York)
- Co-Director, Spine Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital (New York)
- Attending Spine Surgeon, Lenox Hill Hospital (New York)
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Board Certified, American Board of Spine Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Fellow, Scoliosis Research Society
- Member, North American Spine Society
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, Medical Society of the State of New York
When back pain or neck pain becomes chronic, intense, or interferes with your normal, daily activities, it is time to visit the NYC spine surgeon. Only someone trained in the intricacies of the spine can accurately diagnose your unique problem and present you with an appropriate customized treatment plan and options. Once your problem is fully analyzed and a definitive diagnosis is obtained, we offer our patients treatment options ranging from non-operative to surgical.
Spine surgery, including back or cervical (neck) surgery, is appropriate for only a small percentage of individuals with back or neck problems after conservative treatment has failed. In most cases, spinal surgery is performed to relieve relentless pain from pinched nerves or loss of function due to spinal cord compression or mechanical instability of the spine.
- Anterior Cervical (Neck) Discectomy & Fusion (ACDF)
- Cervical Microdiscectomy
- Cervical (Neck) Fractures
- Cervical (Neck) Fusion
- Cervical (Neck) Herniated Disc
- Laminectomy (Lumbar & Cervical)
- Lumbar Microdiscectomy
- Lumbar Spinal Fusion
- Herniated Disc (Lower Back)
- Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF)
- Revision Surgery
- Spine Fracture
- Spinal Fusion
- Spine Tumors
Customizing treatment options to the individual is an important part of managing spinal problems. The wide variety of spine disorders means that treatment options vary too. In fact two people with the same spine disorder will be managed differently because of differences in severity of symptoms and other medical factors that are unique to each person.
Dr. Sean McCance performed spine surgery on my lower back on June 26, 2103. When the anesthesia wore off the following morning, my consciousness was flooded with the awareness that “He did it! Dr. McCance and his colleagues along with a neurosurgeon had successfully and effectively eliminated the source of my back pain. He”fixed” my back. I walked the day after spinal surgery, I no longer have back pain, I was and remain extremely grateful. Highly recommend for any back surgery.”~ YELP
Dr. Sean McCance can offer you a wide variety of surgical and non-surgical treatment options to help eliminate or ease your back & neck pain. We will explain all your options thoroughly to help you make the decision that’s best for you.
- Our staff of will contact your insurance carrier
- Pre-authorization from your insurance company can be obtained
- All appointments for diagnostic tests (X-rays, MRIs, etc. will be made by one of Dr. McCance’s staff on your behalf)
- When appropriate, Dr. McCance will consult with other physicians involved in your care
- When Dr. McCance makes a referral, a staff member will make the appointment for you; as one patient put it, “I never had to lift the phone”
- Our NYC spine surgery practice offers true concierge medicine to all patients
Dr. McCance and his medical team will begin by evaluating you completely to determine the exact cause of your back or neck pain. We listen carefully and test thoroughly before we diagnose. Even though we are a surgical practice, we do not always favor a surgical solution. Our patients can often benefit from treatments that require no surgical intervention at all. Our first choice, whenever possible, is to offer you a non-surgical option to relieve your pain.
“We make smart decisions. We don’t rush. We are thorough and comprehensive with our medical assessments. We want to make the pain diagnosis and pain treatment (if necessary spinal surgery) as simple as possible for our patients. They’re already in enough pain and we make sure the treatment options match the source of the problem. We are successful if at the end of their treatment our patients are pain-free and can return to their pre-injury level of activity. Our goal is to eliminate the pain, whenever possible, or reduce it to minimal compared to what it was.” ~ Dr. Sean McCane
Our best in class, Upper East Side, NYC back pain & neck pain diagnosis & surgery practice, Spine Associates, is honored to provide you with highly personalized and comprehensive care. Our philosophy of direct management of your case by an expert spine surgeon has made us one of the most trusted and respected spine surgery practices on the Upper East Side in NYC and the world. Feel free to contact the back & neck pain diagnosis and spine surgery specialist today to discuss your unique condition and start yourself on the road to recovery.
Dr. Sean McCance
1155 Park Avenue, Suite E
New York, NY 10128